Welcome to DESUK
The Duke Ellington Society UK’s purpose is to further the study, appreciation and dissemination of the music of Edward Kennedy ‘Duke’ Ellington.
We meet regularly in London to listen and socialise, and new arrivals are always welcome.
Our house publication Blue Light is released quarterly. The content is wide ranging and we are fortunate to have amongst our members jazz authors, journalists and critics, and equally fortunate to have many enthusiastic members who, because of their own deep interest, have become expert in particular niches of Ellingtonia.
Save the date: Saturday 2nd May 2020, London. Details to follow.
Other upcoming events in the UK with an Ellington element.
- Saturday 7th December: The Royal College of Music’s Swing Band: The Duke Meets The Count.
Our own Frank Griffith has some upcoming gigs, often with an Ellingtonian twist.
- 28 November, 8.30PM. FG w/Martin Hart Quartet. Hedsor Social Club, Hedsor Road, Bourne End, Bucks,SL8 5ES. £8.
- 29 November, 1PM. FG with Martin Litton, piano and Nils Solberg, guitar. Brunel University, Beldam Room. Free.
- 4 February 2020, 8.30PM. FG Quartet w/Franck Amsallem, piano, John MacCormick, bass, Danny Ward, drums. Phase One. 80 Seel Street, Liverpool, L1 4JN. £3.
- 8 February 2020, 2.30-5PM. FG w/Tina May, Franck Amsallem, Steve Berry and Eryl Roberts. Southport Jazz Festival.
- 8 February 2020, 9PM. FG with Franck Amsallem and Steve Berry. Ma Boyles, 7 Tower Gardens, The Strand, Liverpool, L3 1LG. 0151 236 0870.